Adjust volume or adjust direction - which one the most?

Am looking at getting a hearing aid that will give me at least one button that can be programmed for either volume or direction to get me some ability to intervene. Am curious what the experience has been of others with hearing aids … Volume or Direction? Which do you adjust and/or struggle with the most?

most wireless instruments you can do this (except starkey- no wireless)
you can set one instruments for VC and one instrument for program change,

If direction you mean - how directional micr works. I really like the unitron YUU
you can train the instrument

I have a volume control and use it all of the time.

The brand and model is quite important to give you appropriate info as directionality is important if the aid can’t manage it automatically.

I was originally looking at Phonak Audeo Smart IX or Octicon by Avada (top of line) which are both automatic. Different audiologist that is ‘in-network’ with my insurance is discouraging both. “Why would you want to put an electronic device in a cold, wet, dark place?” “You will get nickeled and dimed to death on replacing the receiver.” I asked about directionality. Was told no hearing aid can really manage that. Am currently looking at Phonak Exelia that comes with one button. Lots of stuff to wade thru in trying to make this decision but know I need to do something. Co-workers are getting tired of me asking them to repeat themselves. ???

What is his/her reccomendation?
Sounds fishy to me :slight_smile:

Has this audiologist actually ever fitted hearing aids?

What is up with the cold, wet and dark place quote, am I missing something?

He actually meant warm, It’s never been said, much less happened that electronics put in a warm wet place tend to have more issues? Is it felt that admitting to the contingencies of a particular style will kill the golden goose?

Fair enough, but with receiver in the canal the important bits are away from all the heat and moisture and the receiver is well ventilated, so no real issue there. Most of the current generation aids are particularly good at deciding when directionality is required. I don’t think you need to put to much weight on what he’s said. You simply need to pick an aid, use it and return it in your trial period if you feel you need a button when you didn’t have one.

Different audiologist that is ‘in-network’ with my insurance is discouraging both. “Why would you want to put an electronic device in a cold, wet, dark place?” “You will get nickeled and dimed to death on replacing the receiver.” I asked about directionality. Was told no hearing aid can really manage that

To someone with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I wonder if someone had an omni-directional BTE on the shelf which needed shifing?

Or possibly, they work for a chain which only allows their dispensers to fit devices from a limited palette of products?

(In the UK this palette issue can worry dispensers: we are legally required to offer ‘best practice’ … but how can you do that if Head Office insists that you fit a certain model or style?)

I think you might have hit the nail on the head ED :slight_smile:

I’d suggest you’ve answered your own question there.

Go with whichever solution you like from the original impartial advice. You will kill the odd receiver, but not more than you would with an in-the-ear aid - replacing receivers ought not to be a major cost consideration unless you have a long-standing effusive infection/or produce more wax than SHREK :wink:

Original recommendation was much larger BTE model that has multiple buttons. One so I could control volume. Another so I could control direction. Said that with fully automatic hearing aids I will get frustrated when device amplifies table behind me when I want to hear people I am with. Models with no buttons for this my only recourse will be to take the aid out which will mean I won’t be able to hear those I am with. Told her I didn’t want to feel like I constantly needed to adjust buttons to be able to hear and that I was concerned with the multiples. As a compromise, I started looking at the Exelia by Phonak which has only one button. I asked about programming the button on one aid for volume and on the other aid for direction (forward, behind, beside). Was told this could not be done. Button on both aids have to be programmed the same. Audiologist works for a non-profit who is not restricted to a specific brand. When I told her some of information I had gotten from two other companies (each limited to specific brands) she asked if they were even audiologists that I was talking to.

About directionality: There are two types of directional pickup in modern Aids. Fixed Static Directionality meaning you get maximum by facing the person speaking. No button to push.

Or Adaptive Directionality: meaning the Aid automatically phases the microphones so that it picks up with maximum volume in the direction of the loudest speech like sounds. Usually works pretty good except when there are multiple speaking voices of equal loudness. But Again there are no buttons to push.

You seem to imply that pushing a button changes the direction the aid picks up…not so. The button simply changes the programs…but, you could have a program for each of the above types…fixed and adaptive.

The sharpness of the directionality is called the Directional Index (DI). A score of 5 to 10 is the range from good to excellent. Ed

Xbulder said in part…

I’m able to do both with my STARKEY J13 Cierra BTE’s. If I want to change volume, I turn the volume either up or down. If I want to change direction, I activate to program number two. And get this, if I want, I can do… (ready now?), BOTH. Isn’t that a novel idea?

Just don’t discount STARKEY just because some on here don’t like them!

Shi-Ku (Who LOVES his STARKEY HA’s.) Chishiki

ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com