About to try out 1st hearing aid

Hi, I am a 12 year old with mild to moderately-severe reverse slope hearing loss. Today I had another audiologist appointment. After concluding that my hearing has not changed that much, my audiologist recommended a hearing aid trail to see how I like aids.

My questions are:
How often do hearing aids provide benefit?

How different is sound when wearing a hearing aid?

Will a hearing aid change the sound of music? (I play trombone in band?)

What brand of hearing aid is best for reverse slope hearing loss?

Are hearing aids normally fit correctly on the first try?

What type of hearing aid is best? (BTE, RIC…)

How easy is it to fit reverse slope hearing loss?

If I don’t like hearing aids, what are my other options?

I would also love any tips about fitting reverse slope hearing loss and dealing with wearing a hearing aid in school.

As always, thank you! I can’t wait for the responses.

Hello! You have very good questions. I can’t say I know all the answers, but I can tell you this; it is a little different for each person, even as there are some common elements. So your own experience will be the most important thing.

The brain is amazing at adjusting to and benefiting from hearing aids. It is not unusual for hearing aids to sound a little strange at first because you have not heard those sounds well, for a while. That doesn’t mean that nothing should be adjusted, because it is normal to have some adjustments, but I wouldn’t recommend adjusting out every uncomfortable sound. Let your brain adjust for a while (a few weeks) and you will know better what needs to be adjusted.

Hearing Aids will help with all sounds, of course, but their primary focus is speech. With the Bluetooth device the hearing aids can also help you hear phone calls, TV, and laptop and tablet sounds better (music, videos, etc.).

I like the RIC style because the part that goes behind your ear is smaller, but there are several styles and it is really just a personal preference.

Please let us know how things are going!

Gabriella reverse slope losses are more difficult to fit than sloped high pitched losses. The reasons will be better explained by others who I think will respond to your post. A highly qualified audiologist will be critical for you.

Oticon has a unique approach to treating reverse slope loss specifically with respect to speech understanding, and they build that approach/knowledge into their proprietary fitting rationale called VAC+. Basically they find that instead of trying to compensate for the lows as expected in the reverse slope loss case, it’s more effective to focus on gains on the mids and highs for better speech clarity. You can google up a podcast from Oticon or some of their technical papers to understand this better if you’re so inclined. I know that you’re only 12, but given that you’re asking very good and mature questions here, I assume that you may be able to benefit from the Oticon podcast about this as well. Here’s the link to the podcast: 12.Podcast eleven: Fitting Low Frequency Hearing Loss on Vimeo

I also realize that being 12 years old, your audi may choose to fit you with a pediatric fitting rationale instead. That’s really up to your audiologist to decide which fitting rationale should be most suitable to you considering both your age and your type of hearing loss.

@Volusiano

I just watched the video. Thank you for sharing the video with me, it contained some very useful insight, now I am intrigued to see if this fitting approach, or the traditional approach works better for me!

Thank you to all who have responded so far!

that’s why I still love this company many years later! (since I got new glasses, hopefully OPN is next up soon!)

Hi, I am a 12 year old with mild to moderately-severe reverse slope hearing loss. I recently had another audiologist appointment. After concluding that my hearing has not changed that much, my audiologist recommended a hearing aid trail to see how I like aids.

My questions are:
How often do hearing aids provide benefit?

How different is sound when wearing a hearing aid?

Will a hearing aid change the sound of music? (I play trombone in band?)

What brand of hearing aid is best for reverse slope hearing loss?

Are hearing aids normally fit correctly on the first try?

What type of hearing aid is best? (BTE, RIC…)

How easy is it to fit reverse slope hearing loss?

If I don’t like hearing aids, what are my other options?

I would also love any tips about fitting reverse slope hearing loss and dealing with wearing a hearing aid in school.

As always, thank you! I can’t wait for the responses!

Note: this topic was already posted, but I’m hoping for more responses! Sorry fo any annoyance this may cause.

Welcome! I was half your age when I got my first hearing aid. I also played in band…trumpet to baritone/TC to Tuba. I also picked up a clarinet and played it on occasion to annoy my band director that simply wanted a tuba player.

You have a stable loss, Hearing aids will likely help you.

Rather than relate to your loss…because I cannot…I will post relative to mine…my audiogram is in my profile. It is a typical loss.

Without my hearing aids, things sound duller to me. I have sometimes thought things were overly shrill with hearing aids. This was particularly true with older aids I had. Now, the aids are better and things aren’t so night and day in this regard.

Ok…gonna try…your trombone will sound much fuller with aids addressing that reverse slope.

As for playing in the band, I did not have trouble either way…with or without. When you play, you can gauge how loud you are by how hard your lips are buzzing and how much breath you are putting out. Pay attention to those factors and you will be accurate in your playing.

There is no single best hearing aid. Get with an audiologist that will allow you to try three or four different ones a couple weeks each…if you can. Be assertive in a polite way. No, I would be amazed if things were absolutely perfect on your first try…particularly since reverse slope loss isn’t as common.

My preference is the BTE. That form factor is the most hardy in my experience. I also prefer custom molds rather than any domes etc. Being that you are 12, in band, I would advise BTEs with custom molds. They are simply more likely to survive. …especially if you are anything like me and my band pals. (I hung with the drummers) We were insane and I look back fondly on my days in band.

Depending on how bad your reverse slope is, you may be into the power aids simply to have a receiver big enough to move the air required.

Hearing aids will take time to get used to. Give them at minimum a couple weeks…otherwise you are doing yourself a profound disservice. If you can’t adapt…I am not sure. There are cochlear implants, but I don’t know …I doubt you would be a candidate. Your damage…is it structural or nerve?

In school, you will have to deal with jerks. I did. I got hearing aids in the 1st grade. I was in that school until the middle of the 5th. Those kids grew with me and I never was teased. Not once. I moved and was the new kid with glasses and hearing aids. I got crap. I ignored most of it. Look, if you care too much what ‘they’ say, you aren’t a real strong person, are you. Be yourself. Treat others well. Cultivate real friends. Real friends…people that really know you and you know…people that will put themselves on the line for you…make all the difference. In being genuine, you are likely to attract genuine people. Finally, if it comes down to it, you may even have to fight. I was forced into it a couple times. The last one, sophomore year in high school, I picked him up and put him down on the bus seat. I sat on him, tweaked his nose and laughed at him. I let him up once he agreed it was over. I could have hurt him…bad. Why would I ever do that? Later that day, he pulled me aside and apologized. He was being egged on…I knew and he did too. If bullies see you are not a victim, they generally go on to other prospects. That being said, you have to weigh your parents and the authorities at your school when you consider a response to teasing. Times have changed in the 36 years since I was 12. Human nature is the same. What I would say is this…NEVER go Columbine. That doesn’t solve anything at all and ends with you in prison or dead. That won’t bring you respect. I am saying all this because I know very well that peer acceptance is weighing heavily on your mind. If a person is really your friend now, that person will still be your friend once you get hearing aids. If not, that person was no friend at all. It is hard. I do remember. You have to find the strength within yourself to let false friends go.

I hope I helped. These are MY opinions. I would always advise you to defer to your parents.

gabriella if you post in one of the already established threads on reverse slope losses I think you will get more responses

Gabriella,

Since no one has mentioned it yet, you will want to discuss the music aspect of hearing aids in detail with your audiologist. You will probably want a memory/channel dedicated to performing music, which will have the active settings turned off. Otherwise the computer keeps trying to make adjustments for what it thinks is important for you to hear, which will totally mess with simultaneously playing music with others.

Good luck!!