About to start a new journey

I’m new here and I don’t know why I haven’t looked for this sort forum sooner. I’ve been mostly deaf from birth but I never got my 1st hearing aid till about 18 years ago while in my 30s, a bte that I used in my good ear. They said my other ear was beyond hope. I’ve had many changes in the past year tho. Last fall I was diagnosed as having a Cholesteatoma in my ‘good’ ear and had surgery to remove it along with rebuilding the bone in my middle ear. The result was an improvement back to what I had in my early years as I had been getting steadily worse in that ear. The doc who did the surgery on that ear also looked into what could be done on my left ear, the bad one. He recommended the cochlear BAHA. Long story short, I had the surgery 8 days ago to implant the stud to receive the device and now I wait to complete the healing process wondering if this aid will improve things in an ear I’ve never heard it of in 51 years or was this just another sales pitch much like the industry itself.

0 Likes

just another BS sales-pitch… you know all those surgeons are out to make the almighty dollar. I’m glad you have so much confidence in yours.

0 Likes

i never claimed to have confidence which is why i threw it out there. this industry is totally overrun with charlatans out to make easy money. i’ve yet to go into an ENT or audiologists that deal in hearing aids and found anyone on staff that wore an aid. it’s extremely frustrating finding a good company to work with. even when i do find people they often get replaced or sent on their way cuz the company wants better sales people.

0 Likes

My audiologist owns her large audiology clinic and is, herself, a bilateral hearing aid user with a moderate-to-severe (almost profound) hearing loss. Two of the other four audiologists/HIS in her office are also bilateral hearing aid users. It’s actually fantastic going to a practice where more than half of the staff use the products they are promoting. They all use different brands of BTE units, too, which I thought was interesting. So BlueDave, they’re out there, although I imagine they are few and far between.

0 Likes