About battery health management in Mac notebooks

Hopefully, someday HA OEM’s will get smart and offer the same degree of smarts in Li-ion rechargeable battery technology for HA’s. Hope the iPhone is next to get such battery management features! Would be a strong reason in my scorebook to switch from Android to iOS as I don’t want to plunk down big bucks for a high-end smartphone and have the battery go south anytime soon.

Jim in a lot of ways the iphone already has most of this. I have an older iphone 7 plus and it has controls in it to conrol the charging and discharging as will as how apps can be controled to decrease battery usage. The iphone IOS has battery health monitors, and it also tells me what apps are using the battery. So I can disable background usage by apps. It has been there for several years now.

Looks like they have just carried the IOS battery health over to the MacOS

1 Like

Great! I’d love to be able to set charge limits for my Quattro HA’s. With a 30-hour charge, I don’t need all that every day. So it would be great if I could just plop them in the charger and the charger/HA’s were smart enough to stop at 60% charge every night (that would be a 24-hour charge) and I’d likely increase the usable life of the batteries several fold by being able to do that without thinking too much about it. And, anytime I wanted, I could still go back to 100% charge if I anticipated superheavy usage with streaming, etc.

My MacBook is a 2012 model, ancient in tech years. I use it for hours every day, original battery, good as new.

1 Like

I have a number of devices that are little used. The temperature of my house goes up to 85 deg F during the daylight hours of the summer (while wife is at work) although I try to keep Li-ion devices at less than 80 deg in a cooler house location and we let the temperature of our house go to 60 deg F in winter (wear sweaters and long johns) just not to give our A/C Heating Co. an excuse to sell us expensive replacement units (2) every 10 to 15 years as they did when the kids were young for ~$20,000 replacement cost in today’s dollars.

I use the devices in the 30% to 60% charge range and the battery for my Surface Pro 2 device says it’s losing about 1.3% of its charge capacity per year (it’s only been through the equivalent of 270 charge cycles in its 6.5 year life time). The battery monitor says it has 92% or so of its charge capacity left and I have very carefully tracked the decline as an experiment over the years. The % capacity was lost gradually year by year.

So no Li-ion battery can stay “good as new” because they deteriorate just sitting around. It’s inherent in the chemistry. I’m sure if Apple had Li-ion technology that completely resisted aging, they’d be trumpeting it to the skies. If you look at their battery storage advice, they advise long term storage at ~50% charged. That’s because storing a Li-ion device at significantly higher or lower % charge ages the battery faster. So even Apple’s posted battery care advice disagrees with the perception that a Li-ion battery will stay “good as new” over a significant period of years. OTH, Apple considers reduction to 80% charge capacity the time at which a device should be replaced. Maybe many people, including myself, might consider 80% charge capacity almost good as new? For me, about 50% remaining charge capacity, if the device is very expensive, is the “time to get a new device” trigger.