A few questions for users of hearing aids

Hi everyone, I am currently enrolled in an Aural Rehabilitation class at Utah State University. For our first assignment, we have to interview three people who use hearing aids. The interview will just consist of the 7 questions below. I would be very much appreciative if you are able to get back to me. Feel free to message me privately if you don’t want to post publicly in the thread. Thank you so much for your responses!

1. How long have you worn your hearing aids?

2. For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?

3. How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?

4. Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?

5. What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?

6. Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

7. Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?

Questions from an Audiology student

Just over five months

Five years

14 - 16 hours

Absolutely

Cost waaaay too much money

95%

neither, Costco, after bad experience at three audiology clinics

Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

This seems like it is missing the spirit of the assignment.

Are you sure that you weren’t assigned to interview people personally?

I have worn aids for 14 years

I more than likely had needed aids about 20 years before I got them

I wear my aids from the time I get up to I go to bed about 14 hours on average

Yes I do benefit from my aids I could not enjoy life without them

The aids I have now, no complaints just wish these had been around when I first got hearing aids

Most definitely

My aids were given to me by the Veterans Administration due the military related hearing loss

My answer are pretty much the same as teejayess with a few exceptions. I have been wearing HA 8 years, purchased at Costco which is reasonably priced. Audi’s are overpriced period. My first pair were Rexton’s, cost $1800 @ Costco, the same were priced @ $6000 from 2 private Audi’s, Miracle Ear brand was $7500.
I do have a background noise problem which hopefully is remedied next week.

I guess it’s better than “dry labbing” it, but I agree.

Oh GOODY! I love answering surveys about things dear to me!

Now go tell your prof that a LOT more info can be garnered by talking to us - but only if you promise to USE it to develop better hearing aids. :slight_smile:

How long have you worn your hearing aids?
I got my first HAs in September, 2012, so that makes it 6 and one third years. I’ve only had the one pair, Oticon Agil Pro. Likely, I’m due for an upgrade.

For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss?
I’m not sure I so much suspected I had a problem as my family noticed that I did. I’m guessing it was a number of years, 5 or so. Eventually their complaints led me to ask my PCP for a referral to an ENT, who, after checking a bunch of stuff, then turned me over to an audiologist.

How long do you wear your hearing aids each day?
Depends. Some mornings I jog and won’t wear my HAs until after my shower (stepping into the shower with them on once was enough to alert me—but the strange sounds alerted me that something was “different”). So on jogging days it’s like 11 am or noon to midnight. On non-jogging days it’s more like 9 to midnight.

Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids?
Absolutely. My spouse doesn’t have to get either me or herself to move so we’re looking directly at each other so as to communicate. I can, somewhat, follow conversations in restaurants and the like. Also, I like that I can now hear birds sing, crickets chirp, and grass and leaves rustle.

What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?
Sometimes there are problems getting one or the other receiver positioned in my ear without irritation. Generally, I have to do some wax wiping. It’s only a few minutes before I get things right, and the problem only happens once a month or so. I suppose the occasional feedback could be an annoyance, but that just tells me the HAs still work. But, they’re sufficiently comfortable that I barely know I’m wearing them.

Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?
I suppose so. They let me know there wasn’t going to be a magic bullet that would solve all problems. But they surely solve rather a lot.

Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer?
I went to an audiologist, and will do so again. Actually, in theory, she’s going to call me any time now for a trial of Phonak Marvels. I’m excited about going blue tooth.

• How long have you worn your hearing aids? Current set under 6 months, but I’ve worn hearing aids since I was a teenager (well over 40 years).
  • For how long before you got your hearing aids did you suspect you had a hearing loss? (I lost my hearing through a viral infection so I was severely deaf straightaway.
  • How long do you wear your hearing aids each day? Only during working hours.
  • Do you feel like you get benefit from your hearing aids? Some, but I need to lip read and outside of work at home and socially I prefer to use sign language.
  • What complaints do you have about your hearing aids? None really.
  • Do you feel like your hearing aids have lived up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do? Yes, because of the level of my hearing loss and previous experience I kind of knew.
  • Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist or a hearing aid dealer? Audio
    [/quote]

1. I have worn hearing aids for 3 years.
  2. I have had serious hearing loss from an infection in my Eustachian tube when I was 14 years old. I acquired ha’s when I was 73 years old.
  3. I wear them much of the time for 12+ hours a day.
  4. Yes, I hadn’t heard stereo sound for more than 60 years.
  5. They sound artificial compared to normal hearing. It always has a amp boost sound. Also, they just amplify sound in restaurants.
  6. Yes
  7. Costco

Lots of students come to this forum with the same list of questions each semester. While a written form of communication works well for people with hearing loss, I do wonder if one of the aims of the assignment might be to actually talk with people with hearing loss to gain an appreciation of the difficulties as well as learning that lots of people take a long time to be diagnosed and treated for their hearing loss.

You will find the same stock set of questions and lots of answers if you search this forum. Another possibility would be to partner with a local hearing aid provider and speak to patients directly. That would give the added benefit of experience interacting with those with hearing loss