6 months into hearing aid trials

I’m 6 months into trialing several different products, and I’m still trying to find something that’s a step up from what I currently own. My old hearing aids are dated in that they aren’t rechargeable or Bluetooth, but they’re still a decent set of Widex aids. With each set that I’ve trialed I’ve had various issues that make the newer ones no better than my current ones.

Currently, I’m on a ReSound One trial and have had several appointments to fix spotty Bluetooth and no avail so far. At my last appointment some other adjustments were made that have caused terrible feedback in the left hearing aid. I’ve communicated all this to the audiologist and I’ll go back Monday to hopefully tackle both the Bluetooth issue and fix the awful feedback.

I’m feeling spent with all the effort to find a new device. I’d really hoped that the ReSound One would be the final trial but I’m not so sure now. The only one left that I hadn’t trialed that carried at the current office is the Signia Pure Charge and Go. I guess that’s what I’ll trial next if I continue to have difficulty with the ReSound Ones. Is there anything else new on the horizon? I could see myself waiting and just dealing with my Widex Passions for a bit.

I found this forum about a year ago and it’s been so helpful reading everyone’s experiences. Thank you all.

1 Like

Oticon More is supposed to be coming out “soon.”
That said, feedback and basic bluetooth issues should be fairly straight forward. Bluetooth may often be inconsistent due to variability in Phone and HA software updates.

1 Like

I wish I could say that the Bluetooth issue is straightforward but that’s been a constant issue since the start of this trial 2 months ago. I’m hoping the feedback can be resolved since prior to the last adjustment, I hadn’t experienced feedback at in either hearing aid. Oticon Opn S has been another contender but I the in ear fit was problematic as I couldn’t find a dome for that product that fit my ear well. The same was true for the other Signia device I trialed. I prefer the domes that have a fuller fit like that of the Phonak Marvels. I wish that domes were universal.

What kind of dome are you looking for? Open fit or more occlusion? The more open the fit, the more challenging feedback can be. There’s always custom molds but if you have small canals can be tough to get enough venting.

I’m looking for open fit and had not had issues with the feedback in the earlier settings. I feel nervous that the problem is going to persist. It stresses me out needing wait weeks to make adjustments especially when the feedback on the left is so troublesome. I’m confused as to why the feedback is way more noticeable on the left side than the right since my hearing loss is nearly symmetrical. Can it be the ear anatomy that contributes to feedback. She checked for wax last time because I actually had the first inkling of a feedback issue on the left side while I was in the office. I ask this because one of the main reasons I’d decided to try to find new devices was intermittent feedback in the left side in my old devices from a different audiologist.

I think of it being the interaction between molds/domes and the ear’s anatomy. Basically if there’s much of a leak (which you’re going to have with open domes), you’re going to have to limit gain at certain frequencies

1 Like

Thank you! It’s probably worth it for me to try a more closed off dome again. Is a power dome somewhere in between open fit and custom mold? I’ve had difficulty with occlusion but I know that it would be advantageous if it can be made tolerable.

Sharing your audiogram would help us help you.
This conversation about domes and ear molds is totally set by your hearing loss.

I don’t have a file of my recent July hearing test on hand but I know that based on my prescription a closed fit is preferable. It’s my past experience with CIC hearing aids that lend to my apprehension over closed fit. Those devices were useless due to occlusion.

Custom molds have some variability in their ability to be vented. Power domes tend to be pretty occlusive. So custom molds could be more or less occlusive than power domes depending on venting.

2 Likes

Why do you need to wait days or weeks for an appointment if you have feedback? I had my current Quattros fitted in the morning, got home and had lots of feedback issues, emailed the audiologist and was given a special appointment late that afternoon. And it was a Friday.

A power dome is in between a custom mould and an open fit.

Best

David

1 Like

Combination of factors between my availability and available appointments. She should be setting up telecare for Resound soon so hopefully quicker fixes in my future.

Got it. I tried the power domes in office and found the occlusion to be difficult but maybe the right custom mold would be doable.

1 Like

With custom moulds it’s all about the vent. If your ear canals are big enough then they can give you a quite big vent which you then block with whatever size reducing plug. If they aren’t that large then normally they would settle for a small vent, maybe 0.5 or 1mm.

But whether you need custom moulds is a matter of the sort of loss you have. How big a loss is it and how does it vary with frequency.

I think occlusion is something you can get used to. I find it’s no problem now being almost totally occluded, but I do much prefer a small vent that just keeps the static pressure equalised.

Anyway good luck and I do hope the remote adjustment works for you.

2 Likes

Occlusion is not only venting but how the aids are set up.
Based on your hearing loss mold/dome venting is established to control gain/feedback.
Occlusion is then tuned to the clients likes.

1 Like

I tried some other aids as I lost my Widex fitter and the new fitters didn’t set them up right. I couldn’t “better” my hearing from my Widex aids and to cut a long story short then found a fitter who followed Widex fitting software exactly and then it blew my old aids out the water. I now have Widex Evoke custom 440s, a family member has F2s. His stream direct to iPhone, I use a COM-DEX to stream. The slim tip with the F2 fits securely for him with excellent speech recognition. The aids can be adjusted whenever you like from home using the remote care app. Bloom support the remote care. I found Widex’s fitting support second to none so if you tried them and were having issues ask for the rep to get involved. I loved my Widex Minds but the Evokes (once set up correctly) are amazing for me.

3 Likes

This is classic from ex Widex wearers.

The answer is probably another pair of Widex, or possibly Oticon, with some of the adaptive features turned off.

The reason is, the Widex aids you’re leaving typically have a ‘soft’ (slow) release of the consonant function (this is fairly uncommon as most aids have fast release to improve the separation of different consonants). It can give the hearing aid sound a better quality as the output sounds less clipped.

1 Like

The audiology practice I’m currently going to doesn’t carry Widex. Oticon was probably the closest fit next to the ReSound. I’ve considered trying to find another provider who carries Widex. I really want to make something workout for my cookie bite loss. I know it’s harder to program and takes patience on my part and the provider’s. The audiologist that I had found in February recently left and now 5 months into the process I’m under another audiologist’s care. I’m hoping we can make something work but not ruling out going back to Widex. I’d been under the impression that any brand could work for me and that most of it is personal preference. Phonak was completely out for me because I couldn’t deal with Autosense.

AutoSense can be disabled if you don’t want to use it.
Set up manual program or programs if desired.

1 Like

The people I’ve successfully migrated off Widex have pretty much all gone to Oticon. Though one of them could only initially accept the music program.

If you’re waiting for the More, don’t discount the Ruby, the more basic WDRC might suit you well. The only caveat here is that Oticon limits the tunability of the (especially lower range) products through Genie2.

2 Likes