5G phones-Have you noticed any differences?

Curious if anybody has moved to a 5G compatible phone and cell network? (especially T-Mobile or MVNO) Have you noticed any differences? If so what? I asked my local T-Mobile store and they said I’d get better reliability but no speed differences.

I have the IPhone 13 on the Consumer Cellular system which uses both AT&T and T Mobile towers, I see a lot better connectivity but not in speed. I have the settings in automatic so it uses the most reliable connectivity.

1 Like

Interesting. That was my initial take with Consumer Cellular regarding AT&T and T Mobile, but when I asked for clarification, they said they send you a SIM card for the network they think is best in your area. If you have problems and want to switch networks, they’ll send the appropriate SIM card, but it’s my understanding that one has to pick one–one doesn’t have access to both. Guy could have been wrong, but that was my take.

That was my understanding too, where we live the area is very hilly,and with lots of low Valleys, the West side of the Village is a strong AA&T area the East side is a strong T Mobile area. I travel a lot back and forth and my signal strength is good in in both areas. I asked CC about it and was told that due to the way the area was they have opened up both networks to CC customers in this area. My stepson has an AT&T account and has good signal at our home but almost no signal on the opposite side of the Village. He has the iPhone12.

1 Like

Cool! I wonder how they do that? Sounds like they’ve somehow combined the 2 networsk into one SIMcard.

I don’t know, I didn’t have the signal strength before getting the IPhone 13, with my previous iPhone SE2020 I would lose signal at different locations here n the Village. My wife has the Note 20 5g and normally has a stronger signal than the iPhone.

I claim no understanding of this, but an overly simplistic view might be: bigger phone equals bigger antennae equals better signal.

1 Like

Very possible, and more than likely so

1 Like