4 Speech Recognition Apps To Assist The Hearing Impaired

1 Like

Why would for TextHear only the Android app be free?

It’s hard to “get” the use-cases from that article. I’m really confused how they differ (or how they are similar). Like, if you are transcribing a phone call, then how do you look at your phone? You have to use speaker? Or if it’s a landline, then is the phone basically used as a display for the HOH person? Or what about face to face conversations? Do any of these do that like Live Transcribe does? Hopefully someone breaks these into a table and compares them at some point. Cool that they exist though. Before Live Transcribe, the only assistance I’ve used is CaptionCall, and asking people to repeat themselves. :wink:

Why have only four apps been examined? On Google Play there are perhaps 100 apps, of which at least 30 claim to deliver what I want - simply accurate transcription of what is being said around me. Most of the poor reviews comment upon the absence of capability to retain the text as a text file. Useful, I admit, but not essential. Many of the offerings can translate foreign languages into English, or vice versa - I do not need this. What I do need to know is - which of the 30 “possibles” is the most accurate?
Ted Roadhouse

A new app, Microsoft Translater, needs to be added to this list. It was developed to translate from language to language, but has now been set up for speech recognition. It is most similar to AVA, as it is designed for person to person Speech, but can also be used like Google Live Transcript to recognize voices around the phone and Transcribe them. It is free and available on all phones, Apple or Android, and also computers, and it’s free. But it’s not as fast or accurate as Live Transcribe.
A version of Microsoft Translator is now included in PowerPoint so that the speaker is captioned. It’s a feature you just turn on. The captions can be positioned at top or bottom of slides. Google Live Transcribe is also included in Google Slides to provide captioning, but the captions are only at the bottom of the slides.

Given my level of success from using speech-to-text with texting, this talk of using it in conversation brings up memories of the Monty Python English-Hungarian phrasebook.

1 Like

:rofl: My iPhone doesn’t understand my Texas accent and back when I thought I could use speech-to-text it was frequently hilarious

4 Likes

Google Live Transcribe is using machine learning by inputting for various accents. So you may want to try it again

1 Like

Thanks! I will try it again.

Another new speech to text I’ve tried is Otter. It’s fast and accurate like Google Live Transcribe, but works on any device. It also produces a Transcript and can learn to identify the speakers on the Transcript.