3d printing in audilogy

Hello everyone,

I am currently handcrafting custom earmolds but am considering transitioning to 3D printing to streamline the process. I produce approximately 600 earmolds per year and about 40 CIC hearing aids.

I have a few questions regarding 3D printing for this application:

1. Pricing and Models: What are the recommended 3D printers suitable for producing custom earmolds and small hearing aid components? I’m particularly interested in options available from European manufacturers. Could anyone share insights on specific models and their prices?
  2. Material Costs: What types of materials are commonly used for 3D printing earmolds and hearing aid components? How do the costs of these materials compare to traditional methods?
  3. Cost-Efficiency: If a printer can produce 20 earmolds per print, is it more cost-effective to print in larger batches or smaller quantities? How does the material consumption change with the number of items printed per batch?
  4. Volume Consideration: Given my annual volume of 600 earmolds and 40 hearing aids, would investing in a 3D printer be cost-effective in the long run? What factors should I consider when evaluating the potential savings and benefits?

Any advice or personal experiences with 3D printing for audiology would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Why not just do a tour of a manufacturing facility? Most manufacturers have been doing stereolithography for a number of years over a variety of materials, which you can easily buy. The cost efficiency of differing batch sizes is likely machine and material dependent and commercial/non-accessible information. Also, no-one is going to give you a subdivided BOM costing.

Bear in mind also that ITE production represents only 10-30% (est.) of overall product in different markets, so it’s a relatively small wedge even in the larger manufacturers: who definitely don’t want to share it.

You might be able to get more traction in making decent canal moulds (usually clear acrylic, plus softer versions) for third parties: to take the receivers of different manufacturers and accommodate different canals. Becoming a ‘1-stop shop’ for this type of thing has merit.