2nd Audiogram in Two Years

So the one thing Costco does not do is treat tinnitus. They turn off that functionality even if it exists within a line of HA. The treatments are mostly tones/calming sounds and none claim to cure tinnitus, nor do they. I think it can be time consuming and tricky for a volume dispenser to deal with this, so if you said the word tinnitus, and they felt this was the chief benefit you sought, they would be correct in telling you that they didn’t feel the aids would help because that is not their value proposition. Go back, or find a new one, and tell them you want to be fitted for aids or OTC to help with speech recognition. I can’t see them refusing you. The suggestion of the Sony’s by 1Bluejay is also a great idea. I would have tried that, myself, except I cannot tolerate earbuds of any kind, they are just not comfortable, and that is what they are like.

Hi @mas956
Your hearing loss is similar to mine and yes on paper there may be little justification for prescribing hearing aids, but the reality of it is that all those little bits of speech that you and I are missing can lead to misunderstandings, frustration, irritation and marital disharmony not to mention the fatigue of it all. I too have a family history of dementia and that was a consideration for me. Whether or not there is a causal link it at least stacks the odds in your favour if you do everything you can now. When I first got mine I too was gobsmacked at the difference and the first thing I said to the audiologist was “oh wow”. Now I understand why my kids used to complain about a pair of rustly trousers that I had and why they used to put their hands over their ears when I served dinner out. The first morning after I got my aids I was stopped in my tracks at the sound of my husband eating his breakfast cereal and just laughed. Also there’s the birds! I found that I noticed my tinnitus far less and telephone calls are so much easier. So you can see it’s not just what’s written on that audiogram, it’s the whole quality of life package. I personally would either go back and request a trial of aids, try a different audiologist or look into what the otc market has on offer now. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Wow - I never thought I’d be overwhelmed with support and encouragement for my (comparatively minor) HL, but this group sure has done that. I am fully onboard with the idea that we all have to be our own most fervent advocate when it come to getting the best care possible. I am by no means shy or retiring but sometimes get tired pushing forward. At this point I feel like I’d be letting down this very helpful group of internet strangers by not following all the suggestions. And so, into the breach we go!

@1Bluejay Thanks for the Sony OTC info - I’ll look at that for sure! @SigoEsperanza: I plan to revisit the issue at Costco - my fitter said that it didn’t make sense now from a cost/benefit perspective, but I think that’s for ME to decide! @Tealover I’m enouraged by your story as is seems very similar to my own and I believe that (even OTC) HAs will be a good step forward.

1 Like

I’d have to guess the Costco sales tech was trying to not be pushy, thinking marketing/goodwill, looking at the lost frequency range as % overall loss and figured you’d enough frequency range left. Maybe shrugs

My 2¢ worth… Even though you have a later and steeper HF drop off than mine (my only experiential reference) I can understand how your charts would affect comprehension. Chuck in a tinnitus into the mix and you’re definitely gonna see help from a hearing aids.

1 Like