2 is better than 1

This was mentioned a couple of times here. Seems 2 spaces at the end of a sentence indicated “old foggy” to them. Here is a view that they are wrong. So take that you millenials.

For anyone who learned their keyboarding skills on a typewriter rather than a computer—and for the many who developed their keyboard muscle memory using software packages such as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing—the double-space after the period is a deeply ingrained truth. While modern style, based on the fallacy that computer typography makes such double-spaces redundant and Paleolithic, has demanded the deprecation of the second tap of the space bar after a punctuation full-stop, many have openly resisted this heresy, believing that the extra space is a courtesy to the reader and enhances the legibility of the text.

I expected this to be a post about the benefits of binaural amplification. You got me Ken. :joy:

You didn’t include the researchers’ conclusion:

Punctuation spacing had no effect on the likelihood of regressing back to the punctuation region after leaving it, did not affect comprehension, and only increased overall reading speed for participants who already type according to this two-space convention (who only showed a three-percent increase in overall reading speed). Thus, while period spacing does influence our processing of text, we should probably be arguing passionately about things that are more important.

No but then it is really pseudoscience with a very limited test group. So it doesn’t really mean much either way. I also thought it interesting in how prejudicial terms like Paleolithic were used.

Dude…check the category title. :slight_smile:

Dude…check the OP. :slight_smile:

I know the category title. I just posted the researchers’ conclusions. No judgments meant or aspersions cast. :grinning:

I always put that extra space between sentences. They seem to run together without that. With my eyesight, I might not see the period, but I know that space and the next capital signal the start of a new sentence. It’s no big deal, but at my age, I am pretty much set in my ways regarding such things. My pet peeve is the terrible spelling and improper usage that seems to plague the internet. And I flunked English in school.

I was rather curious about this topic. I’m in the baby group my age is 34 but most of my friends are in the range of 40-70, I only use double spaces after a full stop and this only comes from it looking right on the page for me,. I’ve found just using one with certain font styles just doesn’t read well.

Most of those I know type as I do, however my stepkids 16 and 18 have a typing style doesn’t really read well and they seem to be stuck with the newer methods that don’t have the fluidity I’m so used to reading. I’d never bash the two is better than one I personally think it’s dependant on what a person was taught or their preference on what looks right.

Well I have to confess that I have not heard of the double space after a full stop thing. When I went to university they liked double spaced lines so that markers had room to comment. I never did learn to type (that was only taught in the student stream meant for secretary duty or the typing pool) and always had a rule that I had to start over if my typing errors amounted to more than 10 ”tippexes” per page. I was thrilled when I finally got a typewriter with a small screen to check before it typed to paper. My first Mac classic was like heaven.
I’m still a two finger typist!:slight_smile:

I learned to type in a high school class so the double space is automatic. After becoming a programmer, it was probably one of the smarter things I did. I barely made it thru the course but it made me a touch typist. Had an aunt that won the national speed typing contest. Made my 25 wpm look puny.

I have always had spelling problems. God Bless spell check. At the University, the English department used a red pencil and errors were noted with a circled GI pointing to the error. The GI stood for Gross Illiteracy. LOL.

I’ve been reading a lot of English detective stories which makes a simple thing like spacing mute. The book louse just used “at university” and my reply goes “at the university” a small difference. The back of most of the books have a dictionary for translations and they are quite long. :slight_smile: It seems everybody eats Sarnies and if the police visit a home the owner serves tea. It is fun seeing all the differences that have evolved. Everyone uses Luv to strangers which might get you charged for sexism here.

I know a surgeon who called every woman luv - I hate it. He thought he was being endearing but really it was condescending and sexist. Perhaps it harked back to our British origins. He did tone it down a bit in his later years - probably had someone point out their offense.

Lived in Texas for a while, so I got used to the terms of endearment dished out by women, especially waitresses, like “dear,” “darlin’,” “sweetie” and the like. Didn’t bother me then and I kinda miss them now that I don’t hear them much anymore.

Did they get better tips that way? Many women in low paid jobs use what they can to survive. We don’t see those terms used much by women here but we don’t tip often either, only for exceptional service. The wages are a bit better for those jobs though. Mate is the more common term of endearment here.

…like the Oxford comma!

(had to look it up)…Nope. No can do. It looks too weird.
Nice and maybe equally esoteric though :slight_smile:
To the topic…1 space. Economy of keystrokes thank you.

When I have my editor’s cap on, I adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style which dictates the usage of the Oxford/serial comma. My friends Strunk and White back me up. :smiley:

I don’t tend to use it unless it is needed to clarify meaning. Another case of fewer keystrokes where possible.

Seems pedantic, elitist, and used by professors that dress funny.

But then, I scatter commas with wild abandon. Happy to dangle prepositions at the drop of a participle.

Elizabethan Englifh was inventive and didn’t even care what an S looked like. Now you seem like backsliders.

[Clears throat] Seems pedantic, elitist and used by professors that dress funny.

Eats, shoots, and leaves…